Thursday, April 10, 2008

(QUESTIONS FROM A POKER PRO ON SPORTS WAGERING)




One night, just for fun I was lurking around the Internet and I stumbled (litteraly - see the banner ad on this page "STUMBLE" ) I started chatting with the owner "DANNY" and then thought it would be cool to ask him a few questions about wagering on sports... (Something I know little about) He agreed to do it and allow us to POST it here on standbackworld.

It's NOT poker, however... I have found over the years that MANY of the poker players at the tables are into sports betting in a MAJOR way. If you are into sports and wagering! Check out DANNY'S link after you give this a read - Enjoy!

NOTE - We did this mini interview via e-mail. I think much of what he has to say is neat reading and I hope many of you like it as well.. One day soon - I hope to get Danny on our new podcast show that we are working on...that is due in a few weeks.



Here we go.




Danny - Can you tell us a little about yourself and your site. (How old) (How it all started) etc.. WHY YOU DO IT and what you write about on your site?
Well I started my main blog dropoutinvestor.blogspot.com because alot of my friends always saw me as the guy to talk to about money because i made alot of it while i was in college if you read my blog you can find out how i made enough to drop out early..


Please tell us how YOU got started in SPORTS WAGERING?
Ive always been a huge sports fan living in Texas you got a lot of great teams,spurs,rockers,mavs,cowboys,astros threes just always good sports on and I have a huge knowledge of these teams and when a friend of mine showed me intertops and how a person could bet straight up winners i was hooked I didn't really get into spread betting until later.

Your fave sport to wager on? TEAM(s) basketball its too easy, always go golden state on the over no joke, and then do teasers and adjust the spread and go under on slow pace teams like San Antonio,Boston,Houston or go over on Denver or golden state games and your good every time, check out my sports blog ipickthewinners.blogpspot.com i have a pretty good record month in month out.

What is the worse run you ever had with sports betting - negative week, month - hour?? lol Yikes the biggest bet I ever made $550 well $275 is the max intertops allows so i got a friend to make an account and I went all in on 2 accounts for the rockets Celtics game a few weeks back Houston at home i went on the over which was low like 171 or 174 i believe and Houston laid a dud on me 68 pts i think at home w/22 gm streak on the line

What is the BEST? I made about $5000+ on the rockets 22 gm streak I'm a huge fan of theirs and bet them to win every night


Your parents/family - Are they into gambling? If so - HOW MUCH SO?
no not at all my parents go to Vegas 2 or 3 times a year but they're all slots


What can you offer someone that comes to your site? How will they gain?
I have alot of basketball and baseball insight as a rockets and astros season ticket holder i get to know the team and their opponents extremely well


DO THEY NEED TO KNOW SPORTS to enjoy your site?
no not at all look at my record i post it every night i win on a consistent basis, the thing is I never bet the winnings, I win then hit the ATM to withdraw my winnings its simple I never bet over $500 ever and let me tell you I've only lost the full $500 3 times


Do you wager on anything else ONLINE - if so - explain. (Investing too.. the ultimate gamble these days)
investing is something i picked up on my own. If u read my blog i talk about how a cousin purchasing a Ferrari a few years back actually like 8 years back got me motivated to learn investing, from there i bought and read as many books as i could. again read dropoutinvestor.blogspot.com I have a very broad knowledge of money


Who taught you the most about what it is that you do on your site? (How did you get to be so skilled at picking winners)
I watch sports day and night when I'm free, I watch all the shows, I read alot of different forums, especially lots of fan sites because fans are the ones who give you the real insight on their team.


Did you learn what you know from "doing it over the years" or READING about it?
this and that, I read alot about stocks, but the sports betting you gotta keep up with that on your own.



What do PEOPLE IN THE KNOW call what it is you do? SPORTS WAGERING? SPORTS GAMBLING? What's the LINGO on the STREET? I like to call it sports investing....look at my site, my title is, its not gambling if you win and that's true because gambling is throwing money into a slot machine and praying you win, sports investing is making an educated guess..

Where do SPORTS people go to wager in the USA (live and ONLINE) How do they transfer funds? I go online, I like intertops they're the best because you can withdraw winnings with a Debit Card they offer you.


Is there BIG underground sports network in you home town?
Not at all, well maybe I just don't know it yet.

Who is doing the most sports betting - MEN/LADIES? YOUNG ADULTS? KIDS (I hope not too many kids) I say mostly people older than me, most kids my age don't have a spare $500 a night to risk


If some one was to say - You're a degenerate gambler - wagering on SPORTS everyday.. What would you say to them?
Hey, I made my money the hard way investing in real estate, some say i took advantage of the huge sell off after hurricane Katrina and I'm a degenerate in that sense, but if you want to get rich in this life you got to strike while the irons hot you know. Gambling makes watching the game fun for me, for some risking $5 makes it fun for to get into it its gotta be $100 at least, to each his own i guess.

What % of sports bettors are just into ACTION (clueless)??? What % knows their stuff? Anytime you put your money on something you're not doing it blindly at least i hope not. I'm sure most know.

Is there anyone out there THAT YOU KNOW - that LIVES off of sports wagering (not selling wagering) but with the wagers themselves? Ya actually the parking lot attendant in downtown who knows me gets tips from me and his monthly salary is around $1000 so I gave him $500 for Christmas because he's a good friend of mine, I told him to put it in intertops and I would help him make money to withdraw every night, he follows all my picks, he shouldve withdrawn over $200 this month or 20% of his normal salary.


Last few questions - My site is MORE about poker - So I'll finish with these questions -



Some call my WINNING & Regular players (my students) ADDICTED GAMBLERS because they play many hours of poker online - Yet..They are winners time and time again.. (This does not seem to matter much) Does this sort of thing happen in SPORTS betting and HOW do the PROFESSIONAL SPORTS BETTORS HANDLE SUCH STATEMENTS?

Also - What % of people making sports wagers are WINNERS - How many have a PROBLEM with needing action? Hey if you re making money go with it, but once it starts affecting your lifestyle ie your blowing the kids clothing fun and college money away, stop because at the end its just a game and it isn't worth hurting your loved ones.

Do a lot of sports bettors PLAY poker and if so, does being a gambler on sports give them ANY edge at the tables (in your eyes)? Nah not really online poker is tough its hard to bluff when nobody is in front of you. I used to do it, but I got tired of how hard it was to get my money from bodog so i quit it.

Does being a person who wagers on sports give them any advantage in LIFE?
Yea because your immune to risk, with me when i want to buy a new property there's so much risk involved but I win and lose money all the time so I've got a strong heart for it you know, its make taking risks much easier because I do it day in day out. $500 on a game is the same to me as $300,000 on a property now it doesn't faze me.



There you have it? Pretty cool stuff. If you have any questions for Danny - visit him on his blog today. http://ipickthewinners.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! If you want to take a poke at me - go nuts! Just be ready for what ever I dish back at ya... It's a two way street...

Oh and be nice kinda sorta.. lol