Saturday, February 27, 2010

What makes a Professional Poker Player? A Question from OnTiltRadio

This is a going to be a great post and I hope we can continue this fantastic conversation on the goPApoker.com (Xfiles) poker forum. Here is the Thread -->   What makes a Professional Poker Player?

I was on twitter and ran into a tweet from onTILTradio - linking to a poker post on their Wordpress page titled - What Makes a Professional Poker Player? ONTiltradio

I love it!  I will share the post here - then add my reply. (so my head does not explode)  You can visit his Wordpress site, see link below.

Professional

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word professional traditionally means a person who has obtained a degree in a professional field. The term professional is used more generally to denote a white collar working person, or a person who performs commercially in a field typically reserved for hobbyists or amateurs.

In sports, a professional is someone who participates for money. The opposite is amateur, meaning a person who does not play for money, but in an academic (e.g. college football) or other private setting. The term “professional” is commonly used incorrectly when referring to sports, as the distinction simply refers to how the athlete is funded, and not necessarily competitions or achievements.

Now that is the definition  of the word “professional” from Wikipedia, I would say that you can look at  it from other sources, and you will most likely come up with the same thing. So you play poker for money well so do I, can I call myself a poker pro?  Some would say yes, but it will depend on how much money a person makes at playing poker. Others would say that you would have to be living off your poker winnings. Some would say that is a debatable question and I would say the same.

I have been playing poker for some time now and have been around the game, I have played with some great pros and some not so great ones.  Now let’s say that you have won some big money in a poker tournament. Lets say 75 thousand dollars and you quit your job and  started to play poker only. Can you now call yourself a poker Pro?  You only play poker and you win on the average of $2,000 a month you pay all of your bills of lets say $1,500 with a $500 a month profit, can you call your self a poker pro?  Your mom gave you the money to play in the WSOP, it’s your first time playing and you are the luckiest person in the tournament and go on to win, can you call your self a pro now? Well I guess these would all be great question to find out the answers on, some would say yes,  some say no and some would say you are just crazy for asking.

I have been trowing out this question for some time now and here are a few reply’s.
If you make a living at poker. I would say how much do u need to live?

If the money you make at poker  is 75% of your income. I would say 75% of what income?
You pay your taxes on all your winning as income.

Well I would be interested in hearing form all of you out there and your input.
Thanks for your input in advance.

ColoPokerOTR

Here is my reply.

Nice post.

Why not take it a bit further, Say you're a poker player that is already worth millions,(Real life) and you plunk down 10K to play in "every poker tourney you can find" - and have some success.  Does this make you a Poker Pro?

Pro poker players my Ass.  

Marketing.  That's my answer. It's great marketing.. (Or Was? It seemed to have stuck)

Take a few thousand people that never wanted to work in the factory, never wanted to work really.. show them poker and give/offer them a title of POKER PRO. Ahhhhhh, you feeling me?

We all need to feel like we are something.

Poker is a bitch.

Is it the same for the hard working 9/5 dude that wins his way into a major tourney only to end up (Playing against the BIG MONEY people all day?)  I say no.

NO ONE ever said life was fair.

I might fall for all the pro poker talk if we could just get one minor, teeny weeny thing fixed.  

Poker Leagues. I dunno, based on your tax bracket.

I don't know about you - but I don't see too many pro baseball players tearing up the action (crushing kids) on the local little league field..  You get my point?

Do you hear what Big Daddy is saying? 

Many of these (Poker pros) Poker players are making billions "selling poker" or are worth millions themselves (either through hard work or from old money) These poker players are playing the game with a major advantage - (If "they" lose. It's no sweat) Then, they call it a career..? They call themselves a Poker Pro?  PAaaleeaase.  Please.

I call them spoiled rich kids who love Vegas!  (Not that I blame them - Vegas ROCKS!)

If you ask me.  We should have the top millionaires duel each other (Let them duke it out with money that means something  to them.. Then we have a poker game folks!) If you want to see a real poker game. the money should mean something (mostly loosing it) to all parties playing the game.

Playing poker in a game where the money does not matter is to me, NOT POKER.  But I'm a stickler for keeping things REAL. (Most of these lucky bastards would sing a different tune if they played and could LOSE something of major value) - While I'm happy to see ALL players coming from various financial backgrounds in most games; it sure makes life interesting to sit next to Phil Helmuth and Ivey right?  I'm just not sure this is really the best game of poker.

These mega rich players have too much of an advantage... I vote Leagues.  I vote we NOT allow them to play in certain "buy-ins" levels.. such as - oh.. I dunno - Blue collar - leagues.  (I can dream - Let me dream...)

What we have now in our poker world - is a free for all.. All levels of the poker food chain, just thrown into the pit! (This is why LUCK is a major factor - if even slight)

God I love poker.  

You show me the poker player that grinded it up from nothing..  and maybe.. I'll call that person a poker pro.

Me.. I call myself a semi pro.  (LOL) I'm not one to brag.

The VOICE of PENNSYLVANIA POKER
MrXfilespoker

Posted via email from xfilespoker's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! If you want to take a poke at me - go nuts! Just be ready for what ever I dish back at ya... It's a two way street...

Oh and be nice kinda sorta.. lol