Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Poker Charity - Some poker players have HUGE hearts! A positive poker story by Big Daddy.

I've been going to this local "fundraiser poker tourney" for over 6/8 years now.. It's always held the week before the Superbowl and it always draws a nice crowd.  The group is called Helping Hands out in Hazleton, Pa.  They raise money for children with special needs. Helping Hands does a lot of GOOD. I can't even tell yo how much money they raised over the years... Let's just say.. Tons.

Big Daddy seems to never catch a break at these local tourney's.. TAG does not work.. LAG - nope.   I tried it all.. I'll tell you what though.. If I ever WIN the Helping Hands event - I'll donate all winnings but $200.00 to the kids.  That you can BANK on.. (?$200.00 - Gotta keep that poker Roll "live" and always ready for action)..  

Don't hold your breath for the Big Daddy donation.. "IF it happens - everyone will at least know my plan to make a donation..."  This past Sundays game was a JUST ANOTHER - good example of my mix of bad luck and (& "rare", "deadly" miss reads on players) - I raised pre-flop with QQ, got called by "A10 off.." BET it.. (hard) and got called.. Player hit his TWO PAIR on turn (and I seen his tell.. but read it wrong) by hitting A and then smacked me with another 10 on river.. Usually I read people - but the player (Also named Tom) played me just right..   (Gotta keep that Roll going).. "always go with your gut people..."  It's the MOVE!

This article is not about me.. I just wanted to add some POKER action to this article..  NO. This article is about a fantastic man out of all places.. (lol) New York.."Big Daddy was born in Brooklyn" -  (He's One of the older guys... "pay attention young ones") 
I figured someone needed to get this story out there... (& Why not me) I write this for the "good of POKER" and for the many large heart poker layers out there...To put a spot light on the NICE guys.. and gals that play this great game.

His name is John Cherill (Think I go the spelling right) out of  Corning, NY.  (Here is a Picture of John in event - Final table action)

John has been driving to Hazleton, Pa for a good 5/6 years now to play in this charity event, while in town he visits friends and family.  John only placed in ONE event before his TOP 3 win held this past Sunday at the Hazleton Knights of Columbus..  The ONLY one he placed in the $ before??..Get this.. "His first year...  John Boy was so.. due.."

After about 7 1/2 hours - the four remaining players talked about making a chop.. This went on for quite some time and you could tell the men were taxed... (Young players seemed more tired, maybe due to late night parties the night before)  The players (Final 4) decided to try and get the chip deprived 4th position player OUT of the action.. Which was proving hard to do, until the blind increase.. (somewhere around (4K - 8K range) 

I played with this 4th position player many times in our back room "pot limit" poker game. "Tom Brennen" ALWAYS runs deep in these NL events.. He's a wild card.. WINS big - Loses BIG.. hes been playing poker since the 50's/60's  He's a scrapper.. out of McAdoo Pa.  Let's just say he's KING at putting the hurt on you if/when he catches.. He has some chops.  (Here he is in the KINGS chair.."see picture below"  He's a pisser this one.. He just about ALWAYS has one of my on-line poker website "t-shirts on.." I love him, such a character..) *I'll have more on Tom Brennen in future..  (For Adults only) LOL.

So - the players get TOM out - and eventually make a chop..  With the Chip leader getting $1250.00 and the other two getting $825.00 or so.. 

This is the good part of this story....  Our pal John Cherill, he donated $600 of his $825.00 Winnings TO THE KIDS with special Needs.. "Helping Hands"

BAM!  John Cherill.  Big Daddy and XFilespoker.com & goPApoker.com salute you sir.  I've seen many times when poker players step up and have a big heart.. Kudos to you and to HELPING HANDS of Hazleton, Pennsylvania...  Love it!

If you run into John at the tables.. Be sure to give him an ADDA BOY! (Here is a better picture of John)

I'll just end it here - So anyone reading this can all soak in the positive energy embedded in this "good guy" POKER story...

If you have questions for Big Daddy - visit us on OUR FREE POKER FORUM..by clicking here. 

If you're playing on-line - Come play me (See calendar on goPApoker.com) We have a $100 FREE ROLL on Superbowl Sunday morning..Sign up by CLICKING here.. come play for free!

***If you know of a good deed being done by poker players ANYWHERE.. Submit he story to Big Daddy (dwyertj@Xfilespoker.com)  We will add it to the Xfilespoker.com web site.

WAY TO GO JOHN!  The POKER GODS are watching and YOU rock Sir...

 Good flops for all!

The VOICE of PENNSYLVANIA POKER (Big Daddy - Tom Dwyer)

MrXfilespoker

Posted via web from xfilespoker's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! If you want to take a poke at me - go nuts! Just be ready for what ever I dish back at ya... It's a two way street...

Oh and be nice kinda sorta.. lol