Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Everyday workers playing poker with empty pockets. Happy Holidays!

Who can afford playing poker today? I mean really, Times are whacked.

Last week I borrowed $100 off a friend when my debit card did not work at the Mohegan Sun Poker room's ATM cash vacuum cleaner. It was chance running into a guy that would "hook" me up no questions asked. I thought what LUCK. I always pay my debts and he was like.. "No problem."

Nice.

I lost.

I played really bad poker and was irked by the fact that my ATM debit card failed me in the first place. (Turns out at 43 years old, I'm forgetting pin numbers for my various cards) Not good.

So anyway, my pal and I have hooked each other up like this from time to time over the years and it was only one hundred dollars. With Christmas and all we have not been able to connect with each other (I called a few times wanting to pay him back)
Then last night my FaceBook account was a glow with message after message requesting the cash-Ola. lol.




My friend wanted to play in today's $65 tourney at Mohegan Sun Poker at Pocono Downs and was crushed by Christmas money wise. So off I go early this am to you guessed it - the ATM. I wanted to sleep until noon givin the fact that my kid is off school but a rounder in need of action, well.. let's just say I understand.

The question I have is this.. When you are strapped for cash until payday, etc. or just plain poor. Do you play as good as you normally can? I mean, he's down to his last few pesos till Friday. Is my pal ruined today before even buying in? Does playing with empty pockets hurt or help?

I guess we will see.. He just left about a half hour ago and should be buying in right about now.

Good Luck buddy! Give em hell.

Times are tough these days and people that used to have a cash cushion no longer seem to have it. I'll always respect players who gain victories playing from the ho hum poor side of the tracks over the Phil Ivey's of the world. I mean, guys like Ivey make more in rake a day from Full Tilt Poker. Why do these guys even play poker? To win "more money?"

It is a lucky few that have the money of a Doyle Brunson, Dusty Schmidt or Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi, the rest of us play under the extra added stress of bunny eared pockets most times.

My buddy has a dream of making it big in the poker world and I for one, hope he does it. He studies, he plays tons, and he's got game. His table is all set, all he needs is the steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! If you want to take a poke at me - go nuts! Just be ready for what ever I dish back at ya... It's a two way street...

Oh and be nice kinda sorta.. lol